Robin Vos

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, outlines Republicans' agenda for the upcoming season.

Speaker Vos outlines Republican agenda for upcoming session

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, joined other Assembly Republicans for a news conference Tuesday to outline their upcoming legislative agenda, which mainly focused on economic growth.

“The centerpiece of our agenda is really making sure we focus on jobs,” Vos said.

Part of the agenda will target worker training to help citizens maintain their own economic stability.

“We want to make sure we keep our efforts going forward to move people from government dependence to independence and self-sufficiency,” Vos said. 

Assembly Republicans also offered numerous proposals to stimulate job growth. Rep. Dean Knudson, R-Hudson, emphasized reviewing licensing requirements and better employment options for recently released prisoners. Co-chairman of the Joint Committee on Finance, Rep. John Nygren, R-Marinette, also stressed supporting small businesses.

Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca, D-Kenosha, responded in a statement to the Republican agenda. He agreed that job growth was essential, but criticized the conservative plan.

“What Wisconsin really needs is a bold, vibrant agenda that will help create jobs and rebuild our middle class,” Barca said.

Education was also a top priority for Assembly Republicans such as Rep. Jim Steineke, R-Kaukauna, who discussed universal educational access. He focused on promoting life skill and making higher education more affordable by extending the tuition freeze to all UW System schools.

“A better Wisconsin begins in the classroom,” Steineke said.

The Republicans also addressed plans to protect data privacy in the future. Vos proposed implementing a mandatory “kill switch” in every Wisconsin citizen’s cell phone. If the phone is stolen or lost, the phone’s owner could call their provider to wipe out their data.