Milwaukee issues featured in final gubernatorial debate

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Democratic challenger Mary Burke squared off in the second and final gubernatorial debate in Milwaukee Friday.

Four of the nine questions posed by panelists pertained specifically to the southeastern region of the state, with topics including a proposed casino in Kenosha, job growth and gun violence in Milwaukee.  

The candidates disagreed over the state of Wisconsin’s economy, with Walker touting the work his administration has done to create what he says is a budget surplus.

“The $3.6 billion deficit we inherited has turned into more than a half-billion dollar surplus,” Walker said.

Burke hit back by alleging the state is facing a structural deficit of $1.8 billion and blamed Walker for a lack of fiscal responsibility.

When asked about how she would foster job growth, Burke promoted her jobs plan and stressed public education, business growth and more aggressive investment in infrastructure as ways to stimulate the economy.

“We need to make sure that everyone has a fair shot to get ahead as long as they do the work,” Burke said.

Walker criticized Burke’s tenure as the state's secretary of commerce and touted the 8,400 private sector jobs the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates were created in September, a mark he called the best in a decade.

“Unemployment is down to 5.5 percent, the lowest we've seen since 2008," Walker said.

Walker also said the state created 100,000 jobs under his watch, which falls short of his stated goal of 250,000 new jobs being created in his first term.

Burke used the debate as an opportunity to deflect criticism that a consultant plagiarized elements of her jobs plan from others he had previously written.

“I have been straight from the start that these are the best ideas [for helping the Wisconsin economy],” she said.

Both candidates released statements claiming victory immediately following the debate. Friday’s was the last debate before the Nov. 4 election.