Warren Herring

Nose guard Warren Herring might return this weekend for the first time since injuring his knee Aug. 30 against LSU.

Football: Badgers face Maryland in homecoming

Following its second bye week of the year, Wisconsin will face Maryland in the first ever meeting between the teams Saturday at Camp Randall Stadium.

The Terrapins (2-1 Big Ten, 5-2 overall), newly welcomed to the Big Ten conference this season, come into Madison fresh off a surprising 38-31 win over Iowa Oct. 18. After a slow start on both sides of the ball against the Hawkeyes, sophomore cornerback Will Likely intercepted an Iowa pass in the fourth quarter and returned it 45 yards for a touchdown to put Maryland up, 31-21, and give the Terrapins momentum to cap off the win.

The interception was Likely’s fourth of the season and the second he returned for a touchdown, both of which lead the Big Ten. Likely heads a secondary that will look to wreak havoc on Wisconsin’s inconsistent passing game that gained just 97 yards against Illinois Oct. 11 and ranks last in the conference in total passing yards.

Redshirt junior wide receiver Alex Erickson recognized that the receiving corps will have to work hard to get separation against Maryland’s defenders and stimulate the offense though the air.

“I think it’s just timing, whether it’s with the quarterbacks, getting out of your breaks, and just creating that separation where if it’s two yards [of separation], make it four yards,” Erickson said. “Just continue footwork, working the hands to get more separation off the release, it’s all very important.”

Offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig again declined to name either Joel Stave or Tanner McEvoy as the starter for Saturday. He stated that McEvoy will be more involved in the offense this week, but the signs point to Stave making his second start of the season. McEvoy was on the field for just 10 of the Badgers’ 65 offensive plays against Illinois, and while Stave’s 7-of-14, 73-yard performance was not overly impressive, his ability to attack the secondary deep broadened UW’s playbook.

Four of Stave’s seven completed passes went for 10 yards or longer, including a crisp 22-yard hook-up with tight end Sam Arneson on a deep corner route set up by a play action fake. While Stave missed on a few opportunities to air the ball out, Wisconsin (1-1, 4-2) will continually have opportunities to take shots downfield if the running game extends its dominance and draws defenders into the box.

The Terrapins, who have allowed nearly 200 rushing yards per game, will be hard-pressed to contain redshirt junior running back Melvin Gordon.

The Heisman Trophy candidate is on an absolute tear, as he has gained at least 175 yards on the ground in each of the last four games and is leading the country with 174.3 rushing yards per contest. Gordon and sophomore running back Corey Clement have led the Badgers to a Big Ten-best 343 rushing yards per game. Maryland’s soft run defense will likely be gashed by the dynamic Wisconsin backfield.

Defensively, the Badgers should benefit from the return of redshirt senior nose guard Warren Herring, who has not played since injuring his knee against LSU Aug. 30. Wisconsin has been mixing up different alignments and stunts on the line of scrimmage in an effort to fill the void left by the 6-foot-3-inch, 294-pound lineman.

Defensive coordinator Dave Aranda said that the Badgers will move away from this scheme and be able to play a more “man-on-man, bone-on-bone” style up front with Herring back.

“I think we’re just that much better when someone tries to run between the tackles, so it’s a huge improvement for us,” Aranda said. “I think Warren brings some intensity and leadership as well, and today was his best day.”

Herring and the rest of Wisconsin’s defense are charged with bottling up dual-threat quarterback C.J. Brown, the catalyst of Maryland’s multiple-look spread offense that averages 35.1 points per game. Brown was banged up in the Iowa game, briefly sitting out in the third quarter with a back injury, but he was able to return and should be ready to go against Wisconsin.

Brown leads Maryland in rushing, averaging about 52 yards per game, but he has yet to develop a rhythm through the air. His 56.8 percent completion rate and six interceptions have slowed the offense at times and prompted head coach Randy Edsall to use other quarterbacks in spot situations.

However, with backup quarterback Caleb Howe, who saw action in four games, out for the year with a torn ACL suffered in practice prior to the Iowa game, Brown will have to shoulder the responsibility of improving Maryland’s passing attack on his own.

Wisconsin’s homecoming game should provide more insight into the quarterback rotation going forward and will also give a glimpse into what the defense is capable of with its front seven at full strength. Kickoff is scheduled for 11 a.m.