East Mifflin Street fire leaves two tenants temporarily without a home

A fire that started in an apartment building on the 2400 block of East Mifflin Street Sunday sent one tenant to the hospital and left thousands of dollars in damages.

The second floor apartment was inhabited by a 32-year-old woman, according to Fire Department Spokesperson Bernadette Galvez. The fire, which started in the kitchen at 7:30 a.m., injured the tenant before she was transported to Meriter Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The woman fled her apartment and told her neighbor about the incident, according to Galvez.

The apartment was severely damaged, suggesting a long repair period to follow, according to Galvez. The actual timeline of the repairs is still uncertain. The unit sustained around $30,000 in structural damages and additional $10,000 in other internal damages.

The tenant is currently housed with short-term relief handled by the American Red Cross. Galvez said a long-term solution is still unknown.

The first floor apartment was inhabited by another resident, but he was not home at the time of the fire. This apartment was also affected by the fire, but most damages were purely water damage. Galvez said the lower level is functional, but the gas and electric has not been turned on since the incident.

Neither of the residents were students at the UW-Madison, according to Galvez.