Bioethics and pathobiological science experts to discuss animal research ethics Thursday

In light of controversy revolving around using animals for research purposes, UW-Madison’s Department of Medical History and Bioethics will host a discussion centered on bioethics Thursday, according to a university news release.

UW-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine associate professor of pathobiological sciences Eric Sandgren and Johns Hopkins University professor of bioethics and public policy Jeffrey Kahn will talk about the ethical concerns of using monkeys in anxiety and depression research.

The presenters will assess whether it is humane to separate baby monkeys and their mothers in an attempt to learn more about the neurochemical foundation of anxiety and depression. Similar methods have been used to study ways of helping patients suffering from these mental health disorders.

Russ Shafer-Landau, chair of UW-Madison’s Department of Philosophy, will moderate the event.

Kahn and Sandgren will be available to answer questions following the discussion.

This free event will take place at 7 p.m. in the Genetics-Biotechnology Center, Room 1111, and be open to the public.