Wisconsinites call for U.S. Supreme Court rulings

The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals officially ruled Wednesday Wisconsin’s ban on same-sex marriage will stay in place until the U.S. Supreme Court makes a decision, according to the Associated Press.

U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb ruled Wisconsin’s ban on gay marriage unconstitutional and struck it down June 6.

Republican Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen argued the ban should remain in place because Crabb stayed her ruling June 13 for active or pending appeals, according to AP.

Van Hollen requested Tuesday the 7th circuit declare the ruling officially stayed to avoid confusion, according to AP. The court declared Crabb’s ruling is stayed until the Supreme Court refuses the case or issues a ruling.

A civil rights group also filed a lawsuit Wednesday to recognize gay marriages administered between June 6 and June 13, when Crabb struck down the ban, according to AP. Hundreds of couples married before Crabb put her ruling on hold.

"Our clients have married in Wisconsin and that isn't something the State can take away from them or refuse to recognize," American Civil Liberties Union Legal Director Larry Dupuis told the Greenbay Press Gazette.

The ACLU filed the federal lawsuit so these couples will know for certain if their unions are valid, according to AP.

"The State of Wisconsin has placed hundreds of same-sex couples, including our clients, in an untenable position of not knowing if their marriages will be respected and recognized or simply ignored," Dupuis said.