Volleyball: Badgers head to Colorado for weekend invitational

Following an impressive showing in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, Wisconsin volleyball (2-0) is looking to keep its early season momentum going in the Northern Colorado/Colorado State Classic tournament this weekend.

The No. 4-ranked Badgers had no problem in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, sweeping No. 24-ranked Louisville (1-1) and Notre Dame (0-2). Following the weekend, the Badgers improved on their school-record preseason ranking of No. 6 by moving up to No. 4.

This upcoming weekend should yield similar results for the Badgers, as they will face Northern Colorado (2-2) and Florida A&M (0-3) before taking on No. 13 Colorado State.

Wisconsin’s first opponent, Northern Colorado, started off its season with victories over Eastern Illinois and Western Illinois at the Ball State Tournament. However, the Bears could not keep this momentum going, losing to host Ball State, 3-0, in their last match of the tournament.

Northern Colorado started off the Northern Colorado/Colorado State Classic in a less-than-ideal fashion, as Colorado State swept them Sept. 3.

The Badgers will face the Florida A&M Rattlers Saturday afternoon. The Rattlers have started the season 0-3 after dropping all three matches in the University of Miami Invitational.

However, Florida A&M played the entire tournament with only eight players, which undoubtedly had an effect on the team’s performance. Regardless, the Badgers should be able to cruise through this matchup before their biggest test of the tournament later that night against Colorado State.

The Rams opened up the season sweeping VCU (1-2), UC-Santa Barbara (0-3) and Marquette (2-1) in the Rams Volleyball Classic in Fort Collins, Colo. The Rams’ strong start helped them move up the rankings from No. 18 to No. 13.

Following the Northern Colorado/Colorado State Classic, the Badgers will return home next weekend for the HotelRed Invitational where they will take on Miami (3-0), Missouri State (2-2) and Ball State (2-1).