Becky Blank (copy)

UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank 

UW-Madison Chancellor Blank sets sights on state outreach

University of Wisconsin-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank is starting her second year in the university’s leadership role by reaching out to areas of the state beyond just the world of Madison in an effort to emphasize the impact of the university across Wisconsin.

For her first stop, Blank visited the General Electric Healthcare headquarters in Wauwatosa Sept. 11 to speak with UW-Madison alumni, according to a university statement.

“All of you are the best example of the kind of talented, skilled men and women we train for the workplace, and you are our best ambassadors,” Blank said to the 30 alumni during the Milwaukee-area visit, according to the release.

The chancellor will be meeting with more businesses, organizations and community leaders during her second year in an effort to identify how UW-Madison can create more opportunities for students and the university overall, according to the statement.

Both in the past year and during her GE stop, Blank addressed the importance of a research focus in universities as a link to future success for students and Wisconsin’s economy.

“I deeply believe that big, public research universities are key institutions for the U.S. to maintain a competitive edge in the global economy,” Blank said during her Wauwatosa visit, according to the release.

Blank also said more collaboration between Madison and Milwaukee should take place, as opposed to the two Wisconsin cities competing with each other.

The sophomoric chancellor spent her first year as head of the university visiting the 12 other four-year campuses in the UW System and meeting with other chancellors, according to the release.