SSFC

Student Services Finance Committee members convene to hear an eligibility request from the Student Leadership Program.

SSFC kicks off first meeting, hears Student Leadership Program eligibility presentation

Student Services Finance Committee members met Monday for their first meeting of the year, discussing eligibility criteria for groups applying for financing from $44 million in segregated fees SSFC distributes.

Student Leadership Program, a group that promotes leadership on campus, presented its financial plan, highlighting its core programming and opportunities to serve students.

“We foresaw some bumps in the road, and I think we handled them well,” Internal Affairs and Development Leader Talley Verbeten said. “We came prepared.”

Many of SLP’s conferences and programs focus on developing individual leadership skills such as conflict resolution, knowing the differences between managing and leading, learning how to actively listen, personal branding and team building.

Fellow SLP leaders Matt Holtz, Joey Janz and Megan Ketterhagen highlighted the group’s inclusive, noncompetitive atmosphere and strong foundation.

“It’s an organization that provides mutual leadership development,” Holtz, the organization outreach coordinator, said.

The only unresolved issue was exactly how many students the group served last year, which the coordinators said was likely just a calculation error.

SSFC Vice Chair Thuy Pham said she was impressed with SLP’s preparation and is excited to hear from more of the university’s organizations this year.

The members discussed future plans to change the form of General Student Services Fund lobbying disclosure forms.

“The word ‘lobby’ is usually associated with something … you do in the back and people who try to push for certain things,” Pham said. “We just basically want to learn more about the group … We want to come to an understanding between GSSF and SSFC.”

Pham also encouraged new students to explore student government.

“Come to us. We will always open our doors and open our arms for you,” Pham said.

SSFC will determine SLP’s funding Thursday following the Student Organization Fair.