Snarky Puppy to bring biting virtuosity to Shannon Hall

With influences as diverse as the musicians that comprise the band, Snarky Puppy will bring their world tour to Madison on Sept. 18 to the Wisconsin Union Theater. With a roster of musicians stretching into the dozens, this collective knows one thing: how to bring the party.

Formed in Denton, Texas in 2004, Snarky Puppy garnered underground success over their first few years; gigging relentlessly and developing a strong following that transcended the traditional jazz scene. Aside from bandleader, bassist and composer Michael League, the band is made up of a series of rotating musicians, all of whom are highly accomplished in their own right.

In 2014, Snarky Puppy became a household name, winning the Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance for their take on Brenda Russell’s “Something” with Lalah Hathaway. On the heels of taking home the golden gramophone, Snarky Puppy and its members could be found virtually everywhere, performing with a veritable “who’s who” of musicians in all genres.

With a strong basis in jazz, with a twist, easy influences to spot in their sound include Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters, Pat Metheny, Tower of Power and many, many more. With a strong horn section and a heavy groove, Snarky Puppy will make you tap your feet, get you out of your seat and compel you to dance.

Snarky Puppy plays the Wisconsin Union Theater in Shannon Hall at 9 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 18. Tickets are $22 for the general public and $10 for University of Wisconsin-Madison students with a valid Wiscard.