Mike Catalano

Mike Catalano scored Wisconsin’s only goal Friday, but the team felt they missed several chances to score one more.

Men's soccer: Badgers tie St. Johns despite scoring opportunities

Playing in their second straight overtime game, the Badgers (1-4-1) played to a 1-1 tie after two overtimes against St John’s (1-3-3).

There was yet another large McClimon Complex crowd on hand, including support from “The Colony” of about 100 members standing behind the net cheering on the Badgers.

Windy conditions and strong defense led to a tightly contested, low scoring affair.

Both teams had opportunities in the early goings of the game, but it was the Red Storm who opened the scoring on a goal in the 41st minute. Following a save on their end, redshirt junior goalkeeper Jordan Stagmiller punted the ball all the way downfield past every Badger defender to find freshman midfielder Mohamed Awad, who was able to finish it off to give St John’s a 1-0 lead.

“It’s a cruel game, one play, one punt over our head, we’re not spaced right and it cost us,” head coach John Trask said.

Aside from the one defensive mistake, the Badgers were able to limit the Red Storm offense the rest of the way.

“Other than that one play, I thought it was the most complete half we’ve played,” Trask said.

Leading the defensive charge, senior defender/midfielder David Caban echoed coach Trask’s statement.

“Obviously with the exception of the big ball that they scored, I mean it was probably the best game we played all season in the back.”

Coming out of the half, the Badgers took little time evening up the score, as freshman midfielder Mike Catalano headed in the equalizer in the 48th minute on a cross from freshman forward Tom Barlow, his second of the season.

“I don’t know how it got out to Tommy, I just saw him out there and usually he takes it in, and this time he picked his head up so I just took it as a cue to get in the box, and every time you get in the box good things happen,” Catalano said. “The ball came right to my head, so that was the end of it.”

The Badgers continued to control the action in the second half, outshooting the Red Storm 10-1, and saw a chance tipped just over the crossbar in the waning minutes of regulation.

The Badgers had other chances, including multiple corner kicks in the closing minutes, but were unable to put one in.

“We scored pretty early but it felt like we had some other opportunities,” Trask said.

After a scoreless first overtime that saw more strong defensive play, the game went to a second extra period, in which senior defender Tim Parker picked up a red card, forcing St John’s to play a man down for the closing minutes of the game.

Ultimately the Badgers were unable to capitalize on the advantage, ending the game in a 1-1 draw. They’ll return to Big Ten play, traveling to take on Maryland (1-3-2) next Friday, and coach Trask is encouraged with what he’s seen going forward.

“We keep making strides, I mean, this was better than last week,” Trask said.