Paul Soglin

Mayor Paul Soglin encourages eligible voters to send in their ballot for the upcoming gubernatorial election despite the extra steps from the state-issued voter ID law.

Mayor condemns voter ID law

Mayor Paul Soglin made it clear at a press conference Monday that he wants all citizens to vote in November’s gubernatorial election, from students and the elderly, to single parents.

Soglin said he wants to see everyone vote in spite of Wisconsin’s controversial voter ID laws.

“We are going to prove to this legislature, the governor and this particular court that the reason for the American Revolution, the reason we fought two world wars and the reason we’re fighting terrorism today is not going to be wasted on this barbaric act,” Soglin said.

His staff also stressed that every effort would be taken to ensure the elderly are able to cast their vote.

“We are not going to have three or four-hour lines for 90-year-old voters,” Soglin said.

When asked about the costs associated with transporting and supplying poll workers, Soglin said “a considerable amount of money” had been saved during the primary in February and the city has these funds at its disposal. His staff added the costs were estimated at more than $100,000, which includes training for poll workers.

The voter ID issue regained relevance after a federal appeals court permitted the state to ask voters for photo ID before allowing them to cast their ballot. Voters can show nine different acceptable forms of ID, including a Wisconsin driver’s license, passport or a state university or college-issued, signed ID.