First DLS lecture of the semester to feature Sheryl WuDunn

UW-Madison’s Distinguished Lecture Series will start up again Tuesday with Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and businesswoman Sheryl WuDunn.

WuDunn is the co-author of three New York Times bestsellers, including “Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide,” which served as inspiration for an award-winning PBS documentary that focused on combating social injustices against women.

A third-generation Chinese American, WuDunn uses interviews and her own experiences to assess and understand culture, society and politics in East Asia. She and her husband Nicholas Kristof received a Pulitzer Prize in 1990 for their reporting on the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests.

In addition to being a non-fiction author, WuDunn formerly served as vice president of investment management at Goldman, Sachs & Co, journalist and executive at The New York Times.

WuDunn and Kristof released their new book “A Path Appears: Transforming Lives, Creating Opportunity” last Tuesday.

Her lecture, which is free and open to the public, will take place in Memorial Union’s Shannon Hall at 7:30 p.m.