Paul Soglin

Madison Mayor Paul Soglin and the city's Common Council debated the development project Tuesday.

Common Council, community opinions vary on Williamson Street development project

Madison’s Common Council upheld the Plan Commission’s decision to approve the Williamson Street development project Tuesday, after lengthy and at times confused discussion from community members and alders alike.

Ald. Marsha Rummel, District 6, had appealed the Plan Commission decision to approve the development project in July, bringing it before the Council for possible overturning, citing that the existing proposals did not meet community standards.

The development project is located on the 700 block of Williamson Street, and while most residents fear the planned six-story building will “compromise the invaluable historic districts in the Marquette neighborhood,” according to community member Peter Wolf, there are some who favor the expansion, having been in on the development of the earlier plans.

Following public testimony, Alders went back and forth on whether or not to overturn or uphold the Plan Commission’s decision, or even modify the density building that night, with a motion to downsize the building introduced and then failing to pass.

“I’ve not sat here for this long and listened to the alders be so confused,” Ald. Denise DeMarb, District 16, said.

Similar to community members opposed to the project, alders worried that the development project did not meet the desires of the neighborhood.

“Williamson Street has evolved into an extremely popular place because of its funky atmosphere, variety of businesses and some charming houses,” Ald. Anita Weier, District 18, said. “This development would threaten Williamson Street’s success. We must stop ignoring neighborhoods to gain more cookie-cutter high rise apartments.”

Other alders felt that the opposition to the project was unfounded and unnecessarily controlling of project details.

“There’s never a perfect project, but this project does meet the standards. I would urge you very strongly to reject this appeal,” Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, said. “The amount of density and traffic is good for the businesses on Willy Street. Let’s move this project forward.”

Common Council voted to move forward with the development project and reject the appeal in a narrow 8-7 vote.

The Council also approved a funding measure for the city’s pilot organic waste collection program that Madison Mayor Paul Soglin characterized as “key.”