Grey Satterfield

Column: SEC conference play will lead to lower rankings

If you read my column last week you should know that I’m pretty peeved with the fact that there are seven SEC schools in the top 15.

Frankly, there’s no way there will be that many teams at the end of the year because they all will have beaten the living daylights out of each other.

Here’s a crazy idea: make the polls be for conferences only. Then, at the end of conference play, have the No. 1 and No. 2 teams from each conference play in a championship game. The winner earns a spot in the College Football Playoff with a committee determining the seeding.

In order to balance this out, let’s say the American, MAC & Conference USA round out the “Power 8” conferences. Sorry to the Mountain West and Sun Belt: Better luck next column.

Win your Power 8 conference: go to the playoff. Don’t win, work on your putting game.

But going back to the issue at hand, why on God’s green earth are there seven SEC schools in the top 15 if at least four of those teams are going to end up with three losses?

Here’s my prediction for how the SEC will play out and how these teams should be projected.

1. Alabama - projected record: 8-0

Lane Kiffin’s offense is hitting full stride and the Crimson Tide are looking to be the best team in the country after dismantling Florida 42-21 last week. They can run, they can throw, they can tackle, and their two toughest games; Texas A&M Oct. 18 and Auburn Nov. 29, are at home.

2. Georgia - projected record: 7-1

Todd Gurley is one of the best players in the country. Georgia already got their one quirky loss out of the way against South Carolina two weeks ago. Look for them to take advantage of the weaker SEC East.

3. Texas A&M - projected record: 6-2

The Aggies have been incredibly impressive in the start of the season, especially with their 52-28 win at South Carolina. However, their schedule is brutal with games at Alabama and at Auburn.

4. Mississippi State - projected record: 5-3

The Bulldogs are off to a hot start after a big win at LSU last Saturday. I think this team is built to compete in a loaded division, but running the table seems impossible with whom they’ll be playing, like A&M and Bama. Also, MSU is not used to being a ranked team in the spotlight, so they could slip up at points this season.

5. South Carolina - projected record: 5-3

The Gamecocks have Spurrier and that’s enough for me. After getting blown out at home by Texas A&M, this team came back and snagged a win off Georgia. They’re incredibly difficult to predict but incredibly fun to watch. With one conference loss, it’s easy to see them lose again, but no one is going to look at the schedule and feel good about playing South Carolina.

6. Auburn - projected record: 4-4

Welcome back to Earth, Auburn. This year, the SEC gives Auburn a big reality check. Losses to A&M and Alabama seem probable, and games on the road against Mississippi State and Georgia don’t seem favorable either. Maybe they’ll pull a rabbit out of their hat again, but I think Auburn is back to the middle of the pack.

7. LSU - projected record: 4-4

That loss last weekend to Mississippi State showed a lot, not to mention their performance in the first half against Wisconsin was suspect at best. However, this is still a Les Miles LSU team and anything is possible.

8. Florida - projected record: 4-4

Fire Muschamp.

9. Arkansas - projected record: 3-5

Arkansas is still building under Bielema and they’re in the West. The beatdown they took from Auburn in Week 1 is telling, but there are still signs of progress.

10. Tennessee - projected record: 3-5

The Vols are likely to take advantage of playing in the East and win a few games, namely Vandy and Kentucky.

11. Ole Miss - projected record: 2-6

I just don’t see it with this team. I don’t see one thing they’ve done to earn a top 10 ranking. Their non conference wins are Boise State and Louisiana-Lafayette. They got one conference win over Vandy. Their next conference games are Alabama and Texas A&M. Good luck.

12. Missouri - projected record: 2-6

You lost to Indiana. What makes you think to you can play in this league?

13. Kentucky - projected record: 2-6

An impressive effort against Florida shows they have what it takes to eke out a win, but they are still nowhere near competing with the rest of the conference.

14. Vandy - projected record: 0-8

Nothing to see here.