City committee approves final plans for new rooftop restaurant

Editor's note: this story was edited to correct the statement that Ald. Ledell Zellers, District 2, recommended to omit amplified music from the rooftop restaurant, Zellers recommended reviewing the use of amplified music should it cause any disturbances.

Madison’s Plan Commission unanimously approved final recommendations Monday for a rooftop restaurant to be constructed above the Campus Inn.

The Dimension Architect group designed a seven-story elevator and stair tower at the rear of the Campus Inn hotel on Langdon Street for patrons to access the restaurant. The hotel owner agreed to convert two guest rooms into a kitchen and outdoor deck that will have a roof canopy and awning.

A large portion of the restaurant is designed with operable glass walls that will provide visibility from the roof when the walls are closed for cold weather.

The main concern among commission members focused on the use of amplified music since the restaurant will be located in a residential neighborhood. Ald. Ledell Zellers, District 2, recommended the Plan Commission review the use of amplified music at the restaurant if it caused a disturbance for neighboring residents.

“I am very much in support of this project and I think that what they are proposing to do is a good thing for the Campus Inn,” Zellers said. “So I’m pleased that the applicants are happy with adding that [recommendation].”

Since the commission approved the report under a conditional use permit, the owner is subject to potential limitations set up by members.

Restaurant owner Darrell Slomiany accepted the conditions with no opposition. Under the conditional use permit, applicants may request alterations to the conditions from the city’s zoning administrator after a year of compliance. Before applicants can submit requests, they must consult with the district’s alder.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said he does not predict the restaurant will cause significant issues in his district. Amplified music may not impact the lively nature of the Langdon Street neighborhood, according to Resnick.

The restaurant is expected to be a beneficial addition to the 54-year-old hotel and campus area, according to Zellers.