Bowling Green's offense rolling even under backup quarterback

Bowling Green (2-1) had a rough start for the season, losing its starting quarterback, 2013 MAC Championship game MVP Matt Johnson, for the year in a 59-31 loss to Western Kentucky (1-2), but has rebounded to win their next two in his absence.

Defensively, the Falcons opened the season horribly, getting shredded for 708 yards, including 569 through the air.

The Falcons were unable to force the Hilltopper offense off the field, as Western Kentucky converted 14 of their 18 third down opportunities, surrendering six passing touchdowns as well as two more on the ground.

The Bowling Green offense put in a solid day, amassing nearly 500 yards themselves, but was unable to climb out of the early 21-0 hole the defense put them in.

The bigger loss for the Falcons though, happened during the week when head coach Dino Babers ruled Johnson, who has 27 career touchdowns to just eight interceptions, out for the remainder of the season with a hip injury.

Babers did so despite the fact that the injury did not appear serious enough to remove Johnson from the season’s opening game.

In Week 2, the offense stayed hot despite the injury to Johnson, as Bowling Green nabbed its first win of the season in a 48-7 rout against Virginia Military Institute (1-2).

Sophomore quarterback James Knapke threw for 237 yards and a touchdown, and was also helped out by junior running back Travis Greene who ran for 129 yards and two scores on 18 carries.

On the defensive side, the Falcons markedly improved over their week one performance, forcing three turnovers and limiting the Keydets to fewer than three yards per carry.

Bowling Green picked up their second win of the season Week 3 against Big Ten foe Indiana (1-1), again putting on a show offensively in a narrow 45-42 victory.

Knapke had yet another strong showing, limiting the damage done in losing Johnson, airing it out 73 times and completing 46 passes for 395 yards and three touchdowns. Greene also had a good day for the Falcons, passing the century mark with 123 yards rushing and a touchdown.

While the offense has been one of the best in the nation, averaging 41.3 points per game, the Bowling Green defense has been a major concern.

Even including the Week 2 win against VMI in which the Falcons allowed just seven points, opponents are putting up 36 points per game against Bowling Green, ranking 108th in the nation.

Matt Johnson was expected to be the difference maker for the Falcons this year, but they haven’t missed a beat offensively in the two games since he’s been sidelined. Instead, it’s been the defense causing the major concerns.