Gen Carter

ASM elects new leadership for 21st session

Among new leadership roles chosen in the first meeting of the Associated Students of Madison's 21st session Thursday, Genevieve Carter was elected as ASM chair. 

Along with Carter, Rep. Ousmane Kabre ran for the position. Kabre resigned from his seat on Student Services Finance Committee to be considered for the chair election.

According to Kabre, he had been contemplating this decision for some time. He said he believes that there are great newly appointed SSFC members that will do something different in the committee.

Student Council elected Carter as chair 23-4 with one abstention. Carter said she believes Student Council has made a lot of progress, but there is a need to continue to improve the way meetings are conducted.

“Even though we are sitting at this table and even though we have placards in front of us, it doesn’t mean that we are above everybody else,” Carter said. “I think the culture of the last session was very much that and there is always room to improve.”

Student Council also elected Derek Field as vice chair and Alexander Schultz as secretary, both of whom ran unopposed.

According to newly elected Nominations Board Chair Megan Phillips, the interviews for SSFC and Finance Committee will be conducted throughout this week. The selections will be presented at next week’s meeting for Student Council approval.

Representatives appointed Morgan Rae as Shared Governance chair and Dolly Wang as Diversity Committee chair.

Student Council decided to table the rest of the leadership positions for the next meeting, May 7.