UW-Madison fosters advanced computing in research with National Science Foundation

University of Wisconsin-Madison is now using advanced computing for quantitative research with support from the National Science Foundation, which works to connect scholars and technology, according to a Thursday release.

The program will fund 12 new facilitator positions distributed among six universities. The two UW-Madison campus facilitators will consult with researchers to identify custom hardware and software solutions to meet research needs and guide new developments.

Some of the biggest barriers for scholars looking to “tap the potential of grid computing technologies and capabilities,” are effort, cost and technological know-how, according to the release.

UW-Madison Advanced Computing Infrastructure Committee Chair and principal investigator of the award Paul Wilson said in the release the goal is to increase the overall adoption of advanced computing infrastructure on campuses and to encourage more non-traditional involvement in computing.

“By helping them use some of the larger-scale resources we can offer, they can maybe transform the way they do their research,” Wilson said in the release.