The Daily Cardinal's Third Action Project

The Daily Cardinal is proud to announce its third and final Action Project of the year that will hit stands on Earth Day, Tuesday, April 22, 2014. The third installment centers around environmental sustainability issues, zeroing in on those that are particularly relevant to the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus community as well as the city of Madison.

This issue will include coverage of city composting, university dining halls, bikeability in Madison and the health of Madison’s local lakes. Additionally, we will be featuring sustainable artwork and research at UW-Madison that deals with the environment.

As members of the Madison community, we need to take personal responsibility for how our actions affect the environment. The health of the community in which we live is a combination of individual decisions. As a community, we need to be informed about how the choices we make, such as where we put our garbage and how much we use a car, affect the long-term health of the environment.

If you have concerns or opinions on what the university or city is doing in terms of environmental sustainability or if you are personally working on efforts to reduce your carbon footprint, The Daily Cardinal wants to hear from you. Email letters to the editor to actionproject@dailycardinal.com or tweet #dcactionproject to join in the conversation.

As this third and final installment of the Action Project comes together, we would like to thank all our readers for their support of The Daily Cardinal’s effort to bring light to under-reported issues facing the campus community. From the first issue on campus climate and diversity issues, to a second installment focused on issues of higher education and now to environmental sustainability concerns, we hope the Action Project series has prompted you to start conversations. The change we want to see as a generation of college students will only happen if we start by having these discussions.

The Daily Cardinal thanks the Evjue Foundation for its financial support that makes this project possible. We look forward to including your perspectives in our third and final Action Project publication of spring 2014.

Please send all feedback to actionproject@dailycardinal.com or tweet @dailycardinal using the hashtag #dcactionproject. For more information, please email edit@dailycardinal.com or send any opinions you may have on environmental sustainability issues to opinion@dailycardinal.com.