State senator declares candidacy for United States Congress

State Sen. Glenn Grothman, R-West Bend, declared his candidacy for the 6th Congressional District Thursday.

Grothman will challenge current U.S. Rep. Tom Petri, R-Wis., who Grothman described in a statement as a “decent, genial person.”

According to The Huffington Post, Petri commented on his challenger, saying he plans to rely on his record of pragmatic conservatism. “I respect Glenn and the work he’s done at the state level,” Grothman said. “I will run a strong campaign and I expect to win in August and November."

Grothman has developed a reputation in Madison as an ultra-conservative by advocating for legislation that repealed the Wisconsin’s Equal Pay Enforcement Act. In February 2012, he introduced a bill that would have formally considered single parenthood a contributing factor to child abuse.

The state senator emphasized his concern with the rising federal debt Thursday as well as the increasing number of Americans on FoodShare and those receiving disability benefits.

“This rush towards government reliance has lead to the well-documented destruction of the American nuclear family, which will have severe, negative consequences for the next generation,” Grothman said in a statement.

Grothman also said there is still work to be done in Madison, but he said many solutions to the state’s problems must come from federal law.

“Whether it be welfare reform, education reform or fiscal responsibility,” Grothman said. “We need changes from Washington.”

Grothman plans to file a statement for candidacy for the 6th Congressional District later this week.

According to the Associated Press, state Rep. Duey Stroebel, R-Saukville, and John Hiller, transition director for Scott Walker, are also considering challenging Petri in the primary.