Softball: Purdue comes to Madison for UW's home finale

As the season comes to a close, fans will have more reason to get to Goodman than just the free ice cream. The Badgers (9-5 Big Ten, 27-15 overall) enter their final home series this weekend with a 10 game winning streak. UW will face the Boilermakers (12-5, 25-22-1) starting Friday for a three-game series. Purdue is coming off a winning series against Illinois and will take on No. 4 Michigan before battling the Badgers.

The Boilermakers lead Wisconsin in their all-time series, 25-15, taking eight of the last 11 games. The teams did not face each other in 2013, but will finally face off in Madison this weekend.

Purdue’s freshman outfielder, Katy McJunkin, was named Big Ten freshman of the week for the second time this season after facing Illinois. She batted .714 with four RBIs and a run against the Fighting Illini to secure her second award this season. Besides McJunkin, senior outfielder Andie Varsho has also been hot from the plate this season, hitting .448.

The Boilermakers had a successful weekend, but were not the only team as the Badgers’ pitching drove them to a sweep of Penn State this past weekend.

Sophomore pitcher Taylor-Paige Stewart picked up her 11th win of the season in game one of the doubleheader and fanned seven batters to bring her total to 105 strikeouts for the season.

In game two of the doubleheader, senior pitcher Cassandra Darrah earned her 16th win of the season, recording three strikeouts while allowing just two runs.

This weekend’s series at Goodman Diamond will be the team’s last home games, and includes a variety of different events. Starting off the weekend Friday, the softball team will host the men’s hockey team to commemorate their season.

Men’s hockey assistant coach Gary Shuchuk will throw out the first pitch and will be joined by head coach Mike Eaves, as well as some of the players on the team. The game will be aired on Big Ten Network, starting at 4 p.m.

The weekend’s activities will continue Saturday, with head coach Yvette Healy holding an instructional with fundamental tips immediately following the 1 p.m. game.

The final contest of the series Sunday is the second annual #GetToGoodman game taking place at noon. Free ice cream, courtesy of Schoep’s Ice Cream, will be given out as long as supplies last. This Sunday’s game is also Fan Appreciation Day, full of inflatable games and prizes. In honor of the seniors, a special ceremony prior to the first pitch will take place to commemorate the four seniors and their families.