Record Routine: Wasted Potential’s self-titled EP too heavy on listeners’ ears

Wasted Potential is a very fitting name for a band that sounds like something your parents would probably disapprove of. With obvious influences from early metal and punk, Wasted Potential’s self-titled EP is an adrenaline-fueled beast that insists on being loud and in your face at all times.

The EP goes from 0 to 60 with its first track “Two Pumps and a Quiver,” opening with a roaring scream and flashy guitar solo. Head banging is induced in full force by quickly paced, high-octane riffs, establishing an incredible amount of energy right from the get-go. But the party doesn’t end there; Wasted Potential doesn’t have the time to slow down. With the EP clocking in at a little over 10 minutes in length, each song is a short burst of raucous hooks, never taking the time to consider stopping.

Unfortunately, a lack of breaks and change of pace makes it hard to swallow the EP whole. It takes what could be individually impressive guitar solos and drum loops and condenses them into a small, overflowing package of loud noises. There’s no down time to appreciate, the band is constantly playing in full force and the intensity is never toned down. While each song is fun and full of angst, the constant barrage can make one grow weary. While the instruments maintain a powerful rhythm, the vocals seem very discordant, lacking any consistent flow, let alone harmony with the instruments.

The EP suffers from being a bit overindulgent, but overall Wasted Potential accomplished what they wanted—making music for the sake of being rowdy and rebellious. Cranking this EP to 11 will surely get the anarchist blood flowing and leave your neighbors in complete disdain for today’s youth.

Rating: C