Office of Human Resources furthers development for Design Project strategic plan

The new University of Wisconsin-Madison personnel management system has encouraged further development of the Human Resources Design Project strategic plan, according to a university release.

The HR Design strategic plan will be implemented July 1, 2015, and developers have continued to work on other components of the plan. Improving employee performance management across campus is an important component of the plan, according to the statement.

The state legislature’s Joint Committee on Employment Relations approved the system April 23. The approval gives the university an “unprecedented chance to tailor its human resources system to the needs of a teaching and research institution,” according to another release.

UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank said in a statement the implementation of a personal system gives employees “important tools” to help the university uphold its standards.

“The legislators recognize that UW-Madison is not like other state agencies,” Blank said in the statement.

Blank also said the university needs a good human resources system to attract, develop and retain good employees and because it is in competition for talent in national and international markets.

The Office of Human Resources developed a draft policy that defines “performance management” as providing coaching, feedback and support to employees about their work, needs and accomplishments.

HR Employment Relations Program Coordinator Patrick Sheehan has been working on the draft policy.

“The goal is to provide the campus with a general framework and training to assist managers and supervisors in regularly facilitating meaningful conversations with employees regarding their performance and professional goals,” Sheehan said in the statement.

Other developments include improved processes for integrating new employees into the university and more consistency across employment categories.

The next campuswide forum on HR Design is scheduled for June 10.