State Street crowd

Crowds swarmed State Street after the Badgers beat Arizona in the Elite Eight game. 

Madison police plan to use horses to control anticipated crowd

The Madison Police Department’s Mounted Unit will take the streets for the first time this year in anticipation of the Men’s Final Four NCAA basketball game.

The five Madison policemen will use the horses to maintain the expected crowd Saturday after the game. Police predict State Street will be thriving with students once again when the Badgers take on the Kentucky Wildcats.

The horses are typically brought out to the streets during exceptionally popular events such as Freakfest and the Mifflin Street Block Party. Celebrating fans should expect to see Beau, Luna, Bubba and Scarlett among other horses helping the officers serve and protect.

In addition to the MPD Mounted Unit, MPD and other city emergency services will engage in further operational plans to manage the crowd.

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, the MPD will be working in collaboration with the University of Wisconsin Police Department and Madison Fire Department. Verveer said both departments will have significantly more police on patrol Saturday.

Although the MPD and UWPD support enjoyable city celebrations, police said they have to take extra precautionary measures after fans climbed on construction cranes and faulty sidewalk covers when the Badgers defeated Arizona.

Many support beams cracked as a result of the weight, according to Verveer. He said police want to prevent any serious injuries from occurring this weekend and will guard the construction site.

The MFD will have extra firefighters on duty as well after students lit furniture and garbage on fire after the game. There will also be extra ambulances located around State Street, according to Verveer.