Madison police arrest suspects involved in high-speed car chase Monday

Tyler McIntosh, 25, led Madison police in a high-speed car chase Monday afternoon in an attempt to escape an outstanding felony warrant.

McIntosh and his passenger, 23-year-old Chelsea Schwaegerl, were first spotted driving on the 2500 block of Chamberlain Avenue, according to an incident report. Madison and university police began following the suspect vehicle, which continued traveling toward the east side of Madison’s campus area.

Before police ended the chase, McIntosh threw objects out of his window in hopes of bursting a squad car’s tires and put up his middle finger to police from his vehicle, police said in the report. The suspect also drove on the Lakeshore Path to avoid police.

The chase ended when the van entered Fitchburg because “speeds were too dangerous to continue,” according to a University of Wisconsin-Madison Police Department tweet.

Police located the suspects with the assistance of a 36-year-old witness who saw McIntosh and Schwaegerl flee the van after crashing it, according to the report.

McIntosh and Schwaegerl were both charged with second degree reckless endangerment; McIntosh was also charged with evading an officer while on a probation hold, according to the report.