Gov. Scott Walker signs disability, foster care, law enforcement investigation bills

Gov. Scott Walker signed 55 bills Wednesday that had been approved by the legislature before it adjourned in April.

One bipartisan bill requires outside agencies take the lead on investigations into cases involving the death of a law officer. The bill’s authors, state Reps. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, and Garey Bies, R-Sister Bay, joined Walker and families of deceased law enforcement officers at a ceremonial bill signing Wednesday, according to a statement.

“There has always been agreement that if the initial investigation isn’t handled correctly everything spirals downhill from there,” Bies said in the statement. “An independent investigation process allows all parties involved to move forward with some peace of mind.”

Walker also signed a series of bills to change the law regarding disabled parking by requiring more spaces to be accessible for vehicles equipped with automatic lifts and raising the fee for illegally parking in a disabled parking place.

Additionally, a group of bills aimed at improving the conditions of at-risk teens received Walker’s signature. The bills extend the age that foster care can be provided from 19 to 21, while allowing the Department of Children and Families licensed shelter care facilities to provide services to children even if they are not involved in a current court case.

Department of Children and Families Secretary Eloise Anderson praised the move.

“Transitioning to independent living can be a challenge for many young adults, whether they grew up in a traditional home or out-of-home care,” Anderson said in a statement. “This transition is even more difficult without a high school diploma.”

Other approved bills included those aimed to better streamline funding processes by allowing school districts to invest excess funds into a trust fund for specifically outlined capital projects.

The bill will allow districts to save for projects with existing funds “rather than having to request additional funds from property taxpayers” according to a Wednesday statement from Walker.