Final Four: The legacy of Ben Brust

Two hundred and thirty-one. That’s the number of 3-pointers senior guard Ben Brust had in his career, four more than the 227 that was Tim Locum’s team record for 23 years. Record breaking No. 238 came with 3:52 left in overtime in the Elite Eight win against Arizona. This shot put the Badgers up 57-54, forcing the Wildcats’ backs against a wall. Two hundred and twenty-eight couldn’t have come at a better time.

Ever since the beginning of the season, the spotlight has been on Brust. As the only senior getting significant playing time, he was thrust into a team leadership role, one that he may not have been totally comfortable with.

“Ben doesn’t yell at guys or get on guys or say too much outside of ‘let’s go.’ He’ll lead more by example,” freshman forward Nigel Hayes said. “As freshmen, we always see him getting the praise for doing the right things and we try to replicate that.”

Throughout his career, Brust has always been known for his threes. According to assistant coach Greg Gard, when Brust got to Madison he could shoot threes, but he needed to polish the rest of his game to become great. By his senior year, lo and behold he polished his skills, and has indeed become great. Brust leads Wisconsin starters in free-throw percentage, is third on the team in rebounds despite being only 6-foot-1, and, of course, leads the team in 3-pointers made.

Not only has Brust thrust himself into the Badger record book, he has immortalized himself forever in Badgers lore with a very memorable shot. And yes, it was a 3-point shot.

On Feb. 2, 2013, No. 3 Michigan came rolling into the Kohl Center knowing they would shoot to No. 1 after top two Indiana and Florida lost earlier in the week. With approximately three seconds left, Michigan’s Tim Hardaway Jr. hit a 3-pointer that put the Wolverines up 60-57. On the inbound pass, Brust sped past defenders, hoisting up a prayer from center court, and draining it as the buzzer sounded, the Kohl Center erupting. Many people forget, but Brust also won the game with a 3-point shot in overtime. It wasn’t nearly as timely, nor as flashy, but it got the job done.

Three things are constant in life: death, taxes and solid performances by Ben Brust. He has scored double digits in 29 of the Badgers’ 38 games, and has made a 3-point shot in every game but two. Brust’s best game was a performance against Minnesota in the Big Ten tournament, where he had 29 points, a career high, including a perfect 9-for-9 from the free-throw line. This season, Brust shot just above his career marks: .419 from the field, compared to .412 career, and .393 from three, compared to .386 career. Brust has been recognized by the conference for his solid play, being named All-Big Ten Honorable Mention both his junior and senior seasons.

In years to come, if the game is on the line, Badgers fans will wish they could see, one more time, Ben Brust’s shaved head floating near the 3-point arc, ready to get 232.