Final Four: The individual impacts that shaped Badger basketball

Traevon Jackson

Traevon Jackson is no stranger to controversy and polarized public opinion.

That is the unfortunate reality of being designated the guy to have the ball in his hands at the end of a close game.

Jackson will be left with the unfortunate question hanging over his head of, “what could have been” after Saturday’s loss to Kentucky. A missed free throw and potential game-winning shot that rolled oh-so-closely to rewriting this year’s Final Four history will do that to someone, deservedly or not.

Against Ohio State at the Kohl Center, during what was the final game of Wisconsin's mid-season struggles, Jackson mishandled the final possession going against Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and Ohio State senior guard Aaron Craft.

However, head coach Bo Ryan did not lose confidence in his point guard, giving him the ball in the final seconds against No. 8 Michigan State just eight days later in a game Wisconsin needed to salvage its season.

This time, Jackson dribbled to his left, pulled up and hit the game-winning jump shot, igniting an energetic reaction at the Kohl Center, one that is best described as dichotomous to the previous week's result. Ryan's trust in Jackson to take the last shot paid off.

"Well, he is a guy that has earned that spot. He proved it last year with some big plays," Ryan said. "In a last-second situation, if it starts in his hands, I feel very confident that we are going to get something. It doesn’t mean he has to end up taking the shot, but he was wide open on that pull-up.”

After a what-was-he-thinking moment in the Badgers' loss to Nebraska and a lackluster Big Ten Tournament, Jackson's play in the NCAA Tournament started remarkably.

He started by leading the team in scoring against American with 18 points on 6-for-8 shooting and followed that with 16 points against Oregon, going an impressive 9-for-11 from the free-throw line.

But, only scoring 17 points combined in UW’s next two games, a questionable last possession in regulation against Arizona and the Kentucky result had Badger fans questioning Jackson’s reliability down the stretch.

Josh Gasser

After missing the entire 2012-'13 season with an ACL tear, redshirt junior guard Josh Gasser returned, making up for the missed time by playing the second-most minutes on the team.

Gasser made the most of every opportunity coming his way. He led the team in 3-point shooting efficiency at 43.1 percent and was second on the team in free-throw shooting percentage (86.8 percent) among those with double-digit attempts.

Gasser's efficiency was only overshadowed by his dominant perimeter defense.

When Wisconsin was in a tailspin and desperately needed a result against No. 8 Michigan State, having lost five of its previous seven games, Gasser made his presence known. He held Michigan State sophomore guard Gary Harris to six points, over 10 lower that Harris’ season average, on 3-for-20 shooting (0-for-7 from 3-point range).

After the game, Bo Ryan recognized Gasser's defensive effort.

"Well, Josh [Gasser] works as hard as he normally works," Ryan said. "Josh did a great job of chasing and positioning himself, and he had some real good help from his teammates too."

Just seven days later, Wisconsin's star defender was given a taller task. Going against sophomore guard and Big Ten Player of the Year Nik Stauskas from Michigan, Gasser's lockdown defense pushed the Badgers toward another necessary win. Gasser held Stauskas to 4-for-11 shooting from the field.

His scoring may not shine on the stat sheet, but Gasser's offensive efficiency and defensive prowess are essential pieces of what brought Wisconsin to its first Final Four since 2000.

Nigel Hayes

Call him the Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year, or call him news anchor Nigel Burgundy, but whatever you want to call Wisconsin standout freshman forward Nigel Hayes, recognize his emergence onto the scene.

Hayes has become one of the most recognizable Badgers, but thanks to a miraculous injury-free season and his philosophy with freshmen, head coach Bo Ryan never put Hayes in his team's starting lineup. Hayes did, however, come off the bench in each game this season, averaging 17.4 minutes per game.

Hayes progressively emerged into the spotlight for the Badgers, earning his first Big Ten Freshman of the Week honor after a 10-point, four-rebound performance against Prairie View A&M.

The very next week, Hayes' 19-point effort against Northwestern brought him home the award yet again.

While Hayes has been an exhilarating spark from the bench, he has also frustrated his fair share of supporters.

The freshman forward shot 58.5 percent from the free-throw line and despite significantly less minutes, is second on the team with 45 turnovers.

Despite the mistakes, Hayes excites Wisconsin faithful with his physical play and seemingly automatic mid-range jumpers.

Playing about half of the minutes as some of Wisconsin's starters, Hayes is still second on the team in free throws attempted, sitting only three behind Traevon Jackson.

For all the excitement Hayes has stirred up this season, his potential to progress leaves him without limits.

Sam Dekker

Coming into the season, Sam Dekker was Wisconsin's most legitimate NBA Draft prospect. When the team started 16-0, that preseason belief only seemed to be coming into fruition.

The sophomore forward spent much of the beginning of the season as the Badgers' most threatening scorer.

However, as the season rounded out, so did Wisconsin's collective offensive unit. Dekker finished third on the team with 12.4 points per game.

Dekker has shown flashes of being the Badgers' most exciting player, earning the nickname “Slam Dekker” for his ability to throw down high-flying dunks. He also uses his length on the defensive end, leading him to be second on the team in blocks.

Call it tough love, but head coach Bo Ryan keeps Dekker on an extraordinarily short leash. See a turnover, bad shot or any resemblance of a lack of effort, watch for Ryan to call Dekker to the bench immediately.

Dekker saw an increase this season in minutes, rebounds and points from his freshman season. On the other side, there was a drop-off in Dekker’s field-goal, 3-point and free-throw shooting percentages.

The sophomore forward announced after the Kentucky loss that he will be returning to the Badgers next season for what looks like a team gearing up for another NCAA Tournament run.