Final Four: The emergence of Frank Kaminsky

For most Wisconsin basketball fans, Frank Kaminsky first became a household name last Nov. 19, when the junior center scored a school-record 43 points in a 103-85 victory over North Dakota.

That’s understandable, considering Kaminsky averaged just 4.2 points per game last year as a sophomore. Though he scored double digits in four games last season, Kaminsky was just a role player coming off the bench. His biggest claim to fame, perhaps, was the occasional “Frank the Tank” student section chant.

However, Wisconsin’s entire starting frontcourt from 2013 was made up of outgoing seniors—Jared Berggren, Mike Bruesewitz and Ryan Evans. In order to avoid a glaring weakness inside, the Badgers needed Kaminsky to step up and become a full-time contributor.

Kaminsky had the ability to do so. Standing 7-feet tall, he was the latest in a long line of dual threat big men under head coach Bo Ryan to possess both a nifty post game and long-range shooting accuracy.

Ryan immediately inserted Kaminsky into the starting lineup for the season opener, a spot he has remained at ever since. After a 16-point, eight-rebound performance in the third game of the year against Green Bay, Kaminsky’s legend was born with the 43-point explosion three days later.

When asked after the North Dakota game what facilitated his offensive rise, Kaminsky simply said, “Hard work. Staying in the gym and getting shots up. Doing all the things the coaches told me I needed to do.”

Ryan alluded to Kaminsky’s multifaceted offensive attack after the North Dakota game.

“[43 points] is not going to happen every night, but his consistency of being that post threat and also being a stretch threat makes him valuable on the offensive end.”

Consistency was the perfect word for Ryan to use, a foreshadowing of Kaminsky’s breakout junior season. He scored double-digit points in 25 of 38 games this year and also grabbed at least eight rebounds in 11 games.

Kaminsky’s development of an all-around game was crucial to his statistical improvement. He expanded his offensive attack, adding elements of both a power and finesse post game while shooting just under 40 percent from 3-point distance.

He improved defensively as well. Over two-thirds of his rebounds were on the defensive end, demonstrating an ability to clear the glass and kick-start offensive possessions. Additionally, he became a modest rim protector with an average of nearly two blocks per game.

Following a midseason slip-up that saw Wisconsin lose five of six games, the Badgers went on to win their next eight contests. Kaminsky played a major role, scoring more than 20 points in three of those eight games. His most notable performance during the winning streak came Feb. 16 at then-No. 15 Michigan, when he shot 11-for-16 from the field, scored 25 points and hauled in 11 rebounds.

Though Kaminsky’s campus-wide superstar status was cemented during the regular season, it was his play in the NCAA tournament that affirmed his nationwide appeal. While he posted mediocre numbers in the second round blowout against American, he scored at least 19 points in each of the next three games.

This culminated in a 28-point, 11-rebound performance against Arizona in an overtime thriller that sent Wisconsin to its first Final Four appearance since 2000. For his efforts, Kaminsky was named the West Regional Most Outstanding Player.

These strong performances did not stand against the immense size Kentucky threw at him Saturday. Kaminsky finished with eight points and five rebounds while facing many double and sometimes even triple teams.

Kaminsky’s is returning for his senior season and should be a focal point on what will likely be another strong Badger team. Just a year removed from anonymity on the Wisconsin bench, it is a remarkable position to be in.