Rebecca Blank

Chancellor Rebecca Blank stresses the importance of dividing the responsibilities of a current university leadership position at a Faculty Senate meeting Monday.

Faculty Senate moves forward in leadership structure evaluation

The University of Wisconsin-Madison Faculty Senate approved a report by a working group Monday that examines the possibility of dividing two university leadership positions.

The group was charged with determining the efficacy of dividing the vice chancellor for research and dean of the graduate school into two separate roles, a task requested by the University Committee over three months ago.

Martin Cadwallader currently serves in the singular position with both responsibilities. Chancellor Rebecca Blank said in order to serve both areas’ expanding natures, the duties would be better fulfilled by two separate individuals.

“I want someone who is going to focus full time,” Blank said. “Both of these functions are deeply important to the university.”

While the report contains recommendations for the structure of the potential leadership shift, Senate members only voted to accept the overall report. The approval of the document relinquishes the working group’s responsibility on the issue to the University Committee, which now has the task of continuing discussion with the university community.

University Committee member Jo Ellen Fair said while faculty members need more time to decide on whether to implement a new structure, a decision on the matter has to be made soon.

“If we do not complete this process by approving recommendations to the Chancellor … at the May senate meeting, our next opportunity is October, and that is not acceptable,” Fair said. “Kicking the can down the road until next fall simply ensures that we will not be able to identify and recruit graduate school leadership in a timely manner and doing this, I fear, will hurt our university.”

Many faculty senators expressed concern on if a separation of the position is necessary, with focus being on how funding for each area would be affected.

“These are profound changes that we are considering, and it is important to get them right,” said Assisstant Professor Noah Feinstein.

The discussion on the research and graduate school leadership structure will continue at the May Faculty Senate meeting, with the recommendations for new leadership positions up for vote.