Ethnic Studies units to look at future of department, programs

The University of Wisconsin-Madison College of Letters and Science Ethnic Studies units plan to hold the first public meet-and-greet event Wednesday, aimed at exploring the department’s future.

The Ethnic Studies department chairs, faculty and affiliated staff said in a press release they want to receive feedback on whether an increase in collaboration between the units would be beneficial to the university.

The units in Ethnic Studies are the Department of Afro-American Studies, the American Indian Studies Program, the Asian American Studies Program and the Chican@ and Latin@ Studies Program.

Some of the ideas for collaboration include pooling selected resources or combining programs into one shared academic department, according to the press release.

The Ethnic Studies department said it plans to hold multiple public meetings on this specific topic to ensure the decision will be in the best interest of students and faculty.

The free “Ethnic Studies at UW-Madison: Past, Present and Future” meet-and-greet will be Wednesday from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Pyle Center. Registration is recommended, but not required.