Jonah Beleckis

Column: Welcoming Atlético Madrid as threats to Spanish title

Spanish soccer has been widely criticized for essentially being a two-horse race for years.

Well, that's because it has been. Barcelona and Real Madrid have combined to win the last nine La Liga titles.

As the season progressed, people kept an eye on Atlético Madrid, waiting for one of the two traditional league leaders to take down Madrid's noisy neighbors and return to business as usual.

But the bad boys of Atlético, the third place finishers of last season, the team that failed to beat their city rivals in a league game from 2000 until the beginning of this season, currently sit in first place.

Don't believe Madrid's not-so-ugly stepchild is for real? All four games Atlético played against the reigning-champion Barcelona this season in all competitions have resulted in draws. In the league, Atlético has won against and tied with Real Madrid.

Atlético earned its spot and is acting like it deserves to be there. Its, at some times questionably, physical punch-you-in-the-mouth playing style is something the two Spanish big dogs are not used to.

The confidence instilled by manager Diego Simeone and the culture the whole team embodies lend itself to not being considered underdogs. Atlético should not be treated as an underdog because the team does not consider itself as such.

Given their consistent league performance and the fight it gave in the most recent Champions League draw against Barcelona, its deservedness at the top of the league table should not be questioned. Being one win at home away from making the final four of the Champions League should not be questioned.

What does deserve questioning, is if it can stay there.

Part of that question is answered but quite literally asking, can some key contributors stay and play for Atlético next season?

Thibaut Courtois is the best young goalkeeper in the world, but the 21-year-old is only on loan with the club. Chelsea, from England, currently owns the rights to the superb talent between the posts.

Chelsea's No. 1 goalkeeper, Petr Cech, is 10 years older than Courtois and might be in need of some pressure to keep his spot in the starting lineup.

Stories have been going back and forth about what exactly Chelsea will do when Courtois' loan spell dries up again after this season.

The Belgian international said he would announce his future next week, according to an article by Dermot Corrigan on ESPN. It is expected that Courtois will stay another season.

Weirdly linked with the goalkeeper is the fate of prolific striker Diego Costa. Chelsea, who is in desperate need on a reliable striker, could potentially propose a swap. Atlético keeps the young goaltender in exchange for the goalscorer (who sits only behind Cristiano Ronaldo on La Liga's leading scorer list).

Winning the La Liga title can have immensely positive side effects, or it can have bittersweet consequences for Atlético.

If they win, they can attract more talent to the team. More players will be drawn to this team because it can challenge for Spain's title again next year.

Atlético, as the team is constructed, now will be able to challenge for Spain's title next year. But in the business of world soccer, that is a large conditional.

Traditionally a cash cow for world-class strikers, Atlético should aim to keep the identity its built this season, not deconstruct the team for a handsome fee and try to rebuild next year.

Having built up, and then sold Fernando Torres, Diego Forlán, Sergio Agüero and Radamel Falcao, it is unbelievable that they have not had the other pieces in place to challenge for the title in years past.

It has proven, through many games against Real Madrid, Barcelona and some of Europe's top teams in the Champions League, that it can impose its physical nature, intense will and its tactical gameplan on opponents to win games.

If Atlético chooses to further remove its identity as being good, but not good enough, and commit to keeping the standard of excellence set this season, then the two traditional Spanish powers should make room for a third for years to come.

Will Atlético finish the season as champions? What will happen on the last day of the season when it plays Barcelona? How will Atlético play in the Champions League? Should more fans care about La Liga? Email jonah.beleckis@dailycardinal.com your thoughts.