City plans to negotiate accommodations for rideshare services

A recent topic of contention in Madison addresses the rideshare services, such as Uber and Lyft, which do not follow the same regulations as taxi cab companies.

Uber and Lyft are both relatively new additions to the city’s public passenger vehicle market. They allow customers to access a smartphone app and request a ride at the push of a button. In order to function as an official taxi cab service, revenue has to be made within the vehicle, according to Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8.

“Right now, they claim that there’s no commerce occurring inside the vehicle, although we’ve heard rumors that that’s not true,” Resnick said. “If that’s the case, then they’re in violation of the law.”

Some major concerns about the rideshare services involve the safety of accessing unregulated vehicles. Resnick is currently in the process of creating a proposal that would allow the businesses to operate in the city while following appropriate regulations.

“There are several provisions that would regulate them similarly to taxi cabs. We’d have background checks and make sure that the vehicles are safe,” Resnick said. “We’re trying to create a framework that maintains the same level of safety whether you’re in a traditional taxi cab or using one these network services.”

According to a Cap Times article, Mayor Paul Soglin is opposed to allowing rideshare services in Madison that are not required to follow the same regulations as taxi cabs. Soglin believes the companies will be damaging to the current taxi market in Madison.

Taxi cab companies currently operating in Madison have strict regulations including providing 24/7 service. Uber and Lyft are not currently required to follow such regulations.

Richard Nesvacil, general manager at Madison Taxi, said it was unfair to have rideshare companies operating in the city when they run during prime business hours.

“The idea here is that we’re required by city law to do this and I don’t think it’s fair to have a two-tiered system,” Nesvacil said.

Nesvacil also expressed his concern over allowing potentially privately insured drivers to transport customers. Wisconsin state law requires independent contractors to have workers’ compensation.

Resnick said the proposal will undergo deliberation with city officials to address all areas of concern.

“As long as we’re on a level playing field ... and if other considerations are made to make sure it’s fair, then we’ll look at it,” Nesvacil said.

Mayor Paul Soglin could not be reached for comment.