Argyle

Argyle Wade gives back to his community by serving as a volunteer firefighter in Middleton, Wis.

Associate Dean of Students Argyle Wade works to serve students, community, family

Associate Dean of Students is just one title used to describe Argyle Wade. Those outside of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, however, know him as a husband, father and volunteer firefighter.

On a day-to-day basis at the university, Wade works chiefly with four departments within the Division of Student Life, including International Student Services, the LGBT Campus Center, the Multicultural Student Center and the McBurney Disability Resource Center.

One of Wade’s main duties is to provide these departments with resources in an attempt to connect students and programs that may otherwise have difficulty reaching each other. In addition, he said he promotes their activities and involvement across campus and communicates these to Dean of Students Lori Berquam.

Wade helped put together the Ad Hoc Committee responsible for assembling the new campus diversity plan, a key issue in student life right now. He emphasized the importance of dialogue in developing the plan, adding that the process is “not necessarily easy or over.”

Outside of his work at the university, Wade is a father and a husband, and said he looks to integrate his family and work lives while also maintaining a balance between the two. He said he likes to get his family involved in events around campus, noting he attended the Wunk Sheek Spring Pow Wow with his children earlier this month.

“If I had to separate my personal life, my home life, from my work life, it would be difficult,” Wade said. “When they work together, that’s the best.”

In addition to his work at UW-Madison, Wade works as a volunteer firefighter. He said it helps him to take nothing for granted and allows him to feel like he is helping people.

“I was really looking for a way to be involved in the community and give back to the community, but do it in a way that was more active,” Wade said.

In a final message to students about their time on campus, Wade said he hopes they appreciate the unique opportunities UW-Madison offers.

“I just really challenge students to hold this opportunity here pretty precious because it’s not something everybody gets to have,” he said.