UW-Madison researchers discover new way to turn stem cells into muscle cells

Researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison discovered a new method for generating muscle cells from stem cells, according to a Friday news release.

The new procedure is unique in its ability to yield large quantities of muscle cells, as well as muscle progenitors, directly from pluripotent stem cells without the use of genetic modification, according to the release. Pluripotent stem cells have yet to undergo differentiation and can develop effectively into any adult cell in the body.

Masatoshi Suzuki, UW-Madison assistant professor of comparative biosciences and co-author of the research project, pioneered the discovery. His method calls for the placement of stem cells in high concentrations of growth factors that influence growth and cell differentiation.

Last year, Suzuki showed that transplanting another type of human stem cell to rats suffering from Lou Gehrig’s disease improved longevity and muscle function. He said in the release muscle progenitors, which serve as prototype for the formation of muscles, could have a similar but heightened effect.

While various methods have been used to increase the number of stem cells that become muscles, Suzuki’s co-author Jonathan Van Dyke explained in the release these often cannot be worked within a clinical setting.

“What's exciting about the new protocol is that we avoid some techniques that would prohibit clinical applications,” Van Dyke said in the release. “We think this new method has great promise for alleviating human suffering.”

Additionally, the new technique could advance disease and drug research by allowing cells infected with certain genetic diseases to be grown in a dish.