Urban League President Kaleem Caire steps down

President and CEO Kaleem Caire will no longer serve on the Urban League of Greater Madison, according to a Board of Directors release Monday.

“Now is the time to pass the baton to a new pace setter for the Urban League,” Caire said in a letter Monday.

Caire said he and his peers “have worked hard to create greater educational and employment opportunities for all.”

“I have done my very best to hear and address the needs of disadvantaged, underrepresented children and families in our community,” Caire said in the letter.

Caire said he accomplished many of his goals, with the exception of an “unsuccessful pursuit” of the Madison Prep Charter School. However, Caire said he now wants to focus on new opportunities, such as the completion of his Masters of Business Administration and his family.

“We have challenged the status quo that has held so many back,” Caire said. He said the League is now in a position to have an “even greater impact” on the community.

Caire has been an “inspiring leader” and the “tip of the spear in our region’s efforts to address racial inequality in its many forms,” Board Chairman Wade Harrison said in the release.

Dane County Executive Joe Parisi said in a statement Monday Caire was a key individual in addressing racial inequalities.

“It was a pleasure to partner with Kaleem to create and implement solutions to help ensure everyone has an opportunity for success—from worker training and employment to initiatives that help stabilize families and lead to lifelong success in school for children,” Parisi said.

Caire agreed to serve as an ad hoc member of the search committee for his replacement and stay on the League until March 31.