Tuning into the festival’s buzz bands

A big part of the magic that is South by Southwest is never knowing what to expect. Putting aside well-known acts like Pusha T, home grown favorites a la Phox and artists like Against Me! who are stopping by Madison soon, here are some new acts we’re intrigued by down in Austin:

Bear Hands (“Agora”)

Hailing from New York and full of indie pop angst, Bear Hands offer up plenty of catchy tunes to warrant a stop, especially off their latest album Distraction out earlier this year in February.

Basecamp (“Emmanuel”)

It’s rare that an artist can be so captivating without much material available, but it’s nearly impossible to stop listening to Basecamp once you start. This trio of producers out of Nashville, Tenn. know just how to blend smooth drum and bass with electronics, as well as enticing lyrics, so you’ll be jamming along to in no time.

Temples (“Shelter Song”)

If you’ve gotten a shout out from Oasis frontman Noel Gallagher it’s safe to say you’re doing pretty well for yourself. Having only just released their debut album last month, Temples have gotten plenty of hype as the next big indie alt rock band to come out of the UK. Cheery psychedelic tracks with similarities to (dare I say it) fellow Brits The Beatles get your foot tapping and seem the perfect fit for a great live show.

Alvvays (“Adult Diversion”)

Unfortunately we’re still waiting for this Toronto foursome’s debut album, out later this year. But the group’s current track “Adult Diversion” and the fact that they’ve gotten on a number of other SXSW Must See lists drums up quite the suspense—probably just enough to warrant stopping by to see what else their set has to offer.

Bipolar Sunshine (“Trouble”)

Who doesn’t love some good music out of Manchester? With a voice often sounding like a strange blend of Kid Cudi and King Krule, Adio Marchant is a master of the tender feel good track and hopefully someone who can spread as many good vibes live as he can from the studio.

Keep your eyes peeled this week for more SXSW coverage as Cheyenne traverses the span of Austin, Texas for your benefit.