SSFC continues efforts to clarify eligibility criteria for student groups applying for funding

Student Services Finance Committee members continued to analyze and amend the recently created eligibility criteria draft at a meeting Monday, with efforts aimed at creating a final draft.

An Eligibility Criteria Review Committee was established in fall 2013 to review the current eligibility requirements, which serve as a guideline for registered student organizations that apply for funding through the General Student Services Fund.

One change addressed by the review committee was the clarification of the direct services RSOs are required to provide to university students. To clarify what a direct service entails, the body enlisted two new areas of programming requirements: core and supportive.

Establishing the difference between the two ensures there is an area of focus pertaining to the groups’ intended mission, while still guaranteeing actions are taken to sustain the organizations.

“We want to make sure that their core programs, that what the groups are emphasizing is active engagement, student involvement, student participation that goes far beyond just showing up to an [event],” said SSFC Chair David Vines.

Aside from clarifying the programming goals, the committee members addressed vague sections of the draft, unclear terms and the overall clarity of the language.

SSFC members will continue to discuss and amend the eligibility draft at their next meeting Thursday, with the goal of presenting a final draft to Student Council after spring break. Also at the meeting, the committee will make a decision on the transportation budget, which the committee heard March 6.