Record Routine: Kid Cudi takes voyage to nowhere with 'Satellite Flight'

With the release of his critically acclaimed album Man on the Moon: The End of Day in 2009, Scott Mescudi (aka Kid Cudi) was welcomed to the music scene with great reception. Over the last five years, Mescudi has altered his technique, which has been followed by mixed reviews. His latest album Satellite Flight: The Journey to Mother Moon is by far the biggest departure in style, and unfortunately it doesn’t make as big of an impact as his previous work.

The album is packed with songs like “In My Dreams 2015,” which truly captures the essence of a journey to the moon, yet the album also evokes the feelings of monotony and emptiness that comes with a long and endless voyage. Each song is either plagued with Cudi’s infamous woozy vocals or is completely void of vocals entirely, with the exception of Cudi rapping on “Too Bad I Have To Destroy You Now.”

Satellite Flight may be a testament to Cudi’s transformation as an artist. With each new release, Cudi has crafted a slightly different sound, moving away from his hip-hop roots and toward his inspirations from psychedelic rock and indie music. But with Satellite Flight Cudi falls into a middle ground that completely lacks the distinct style that Man on the Moon I & II brought to the table.

Overall, this is easily Cudi’s most forgettable album. Fans will be disappointed with the absence of innovation that he originally embodied, creating what feels like a lackluster attempt at being different. Satellite Flight feels more like an EP than a fully produced album, crammed with spacey instrumentals and uninspired vocals. Satellite Flight acts as a prelude for Cudi’s highly anticipated album Man on the Moon III, and unfortunately it falls short in creating an inspiring atmosphere for what’s to come.

Rating: C+