Pux Phil

Punxsutawney Phil, citing Frank Kaminsky's superior post moves and Nigel Hayes' improved mid-range jumper, picked Wisconsin to make it to the NCAA Championship game. 

Record Routine: Band guilty of noisy tunefulness on debut album

Nothing was formed in the wake of frontman Dominic Palermo’s two-year stint in prison, where he spent his time in intense reflection and undergoing long, painful writing sessions. They formed in 2011 when Palermo met guitarist Brandon Setta. They eventually attained two more members to create Nothing. Guilty of Everything, the band’s debut album, was recorded and produced by Jeff Zeigler (Kurt Vile, War on Drugs, etc) and released March 4 through Relapse Records.

Guilty of Everything has a heavy alternative-rock sound anchored by distorted guitars that throw back to the '90s fad of shoegaze/dream pop rock that has gained a significant following in recent years. Palermo’s impacting yet disconnected voice drowns in the shredding melodies and clamoring drums, which creates a sort of perfect metaphor for the entire album. Palermo’s lyrics have always been felt deep within him and are slowly emerging from the noise of his rough upbringing and damaged adulthood.

The first track, “Hymn to the Pillory,” has a delicate feel with a painful twist and draws you into Nothing’s sound right away. “Dig” opens up a little further into the heaviness of the album with its distinct drum rhythms and punching strums of the electric guitar, which guide the latter half of the album. The third track, “Bent Nail” is one of the strongest tracks on the album—also the shortest—and picks up the beat to introduce a punkier garage sound that is later repeated in “Get Well”.

“Endlessly”, “Somersault” and “Beat Around the Bush” are all interesting tracks in the similar way in which they present the hard-hitting instrumentals with whispering vocals for a dramatic effect that barrels into “B&E.” The most theatrical track on the album, "B&E" is complete with constant cymbal crashing and strategic pauses to emphasize the edgy guitars and vocals that complete the epic track.

The album closes with its title track, “Guilty of Everything,” a beautiful, quiet track that oozes with regret, reflection and resurrection. It’s a simple, perfect song to end the rollercoaster of emotions that is Guilty of Everything.

Rating: B