Language exploration expands cultural knowledge among learners

Spanish is a great language to learn. It’s great if we want to study the rich culture of the Iberian Peninsula or visit our many Spanish-speaking neighbors to the south in Latin America. Chinese is a popular and frankly pragmatic language to learn if we’re interested in going into business in a world where China is unquestionably a big player. French retains its status as language of diplomacy, culture, elegance, fashion and haute culture. Dutch is useful if you’re looking for an insightful way to make fun of Belgians. 

As students at UW-Madison, we are all blessed with access to one of the most impressive foreign language programs of any university in the country. If there is a language you want to learn, there is probably a path to do so while in school here. Van Hise is a veritable Tower of Babel. Enter any classroom and the chances of encountering a chronology of the languages taught there on chalk boards and discarded handouts are not just great, they’re inevitable. Although we have access to the more popular modern languages people are learning these days, we shouldn’t underestimate the value of going out on a limb and taking a totally uncommon language for a semester or two. Or more if true interest strikes. 

Last fall I did just that when I started taking Dutch. Since I discovered Amsterdam early that year on two other trips to the Netherlands and Belgium, I became intent on learning the language so I could develop a more intimate connection with a world I had quickly fallen in love with. Granted, I’m also a geek when it comes to learning languages. I want to learn multiple languages and enjoy the process. I am a German major and I’ve taken four semesters of French between high school and college. It’s not such a crazy thing for me to start a new language now. I could have just as easily taken something like Chinese, Spanish or even Italian and remained within the realm of relatively conventional modern languages to learn. Breaking from this mould though has been an interesting experience to say the least and one, which I wouldn’t dare do differently. 

When we take a language that is really off the beaten path, we get to learn about a world that is both fresh and  new, but also discover one that in many ways might be more familiar than we ever thought. On a daily basis we use words that derive from Dutch: pinkie and cookie are just two examples. Yet, these are the things I didn’t know before, nor did I take the effort to learn about the deep cultural influence the Netherlands has had on the United States. The municipal flag for New York City is blue, white and orange for example, because New York used to be New Amsterdam. 

Languages act as the doorway to a new culture. In order to understand a culture, we must have at least a basic understanding of the language, which also gives insight into the strange and unique ways communities interact that also allows outsiders a way to take part in these interactions. Learning languages is not just a process or root memorization and linguistic endeavor, but an in depth cultural expedition. 

Although we can certainly do this with more commonly learned languages, the value in taking the plunge and learning something that’s a little bit “out there” is that it will introduce us to something fundamentally unique and different. Take Swedish and learn about the land that is behind IKEA or Swahili and delve into the life and times of contemporary East Africa. Take Arabic or Russian or Tibetan and not only learn a new language, but a new alphabet and explore the process of learning to write as an adult. Or try your hand at Norwegian and discover why there are two translation options on Wikipedia (seriously, there are two: norsk bokmal and nynorsk). I don’t know, but if you find out hit me up with the answer.

While they might not always come off as practical, there is still value in learning a language that is less commonly learned: We discover totally new cultures that will give us insight about the world from perspectives we never thought of before. We will challenge ourselves both academically and personally to think in a way that is not only new, but also more creative. And we will discover the value of learning a language that isn’t just good for our resume or doing business. Language is a cultural and emotional experience and worth the effort. It is an experience that is about people, places, history and one of the qualities that makes human existence so exceptional: linguistic ability. 

Is being bilingual an essential  asset in today’s global interconnectedness, especially regarding economics? Tell us about your experience with the language programs offered here at UW-Madison. Tell us how you feel and please send all of your  feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.