Scott Walker (copy)

Four months after Gov. Scott Walker signed an asbestos lawsuit bill into law, veterans groups and Democratic leaders plan to introduce a bill to repeal it.

Gov. Scott Walker signs bill restricting early voting at elections

Gov. Scott Walker signed a bill Thursday that prohibits early absentee voting on weekends. He also used his veto powers to strike out a provision that would have restricted voting to 45 hours a week in Wisconsin.

Under the new laws, early voting can take place between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. on weekdays.

The move has led to numerous reactions from interest groups and lawmakers on both sides of the political aisle.

The Democratic Party was vehement in their opposition towards legislation that they claim, hinders a citizen’s right to vote.

State Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca, D-Kenosha, made it clear to all that he disliked the new laws. “It is time Republicans start fixing problems and stop fixing elections,” Barca said in a statement.

State Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, offered similar comments on the newly approved voter bill.

“Republicans at every turn are doing their very best to drown out the people’s voice in our elections,” Taylor said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Republicans were quick to support Walker’s actions. State Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, and state Sen. Mary Lazich, R-New Berlin, were among those who hailed the move.

“I am pleased that Governor Walker has put in place uniform hours for early absentee voting,” Vos said in a statement. “The legislation gives local governments the needed flexibility while maintaining fairness in our elections.”