Equal Opportunities Committee aims to protect the homeless

The Equal Opportunities Committee addressed reports from the Madison homeless community of discrimination and debated creating a new protected class in a meeting Monday.

Homeless citizens voiced feelings of discrimination after incidents when their belongings disappeared, according to Ald. Anita Weier, District 18. Those involved said they believed their belongings were stolen and that making homelessness a protected class could prevent future discrimination.

In December 2013, Madison Ciity Council made unemployment a protected class, meaning employers cannot legally discriminate when hiring the unemployed, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

The committee discussed making homelessness a protected class but voiced concern over the large amount of existing protected classes. Members said disagreements between the EOC and business sector could create backlash.

EOC member and attorney David Bolles said the problem with making homelessness a protected class is when one begins to use transitive statuses such as homelessness, the definition of protected classes expands.

However, President Bill Fetty disagreed and said homelessness should not be labeled as transitive because some children are born into such conditions.

“I wanted to start the conversation, and I feel like we are doing that,” Fetty said about homeless discrimination.

Weier said Porchlight Inc., a local homeless shelter, contacted the committee and expressed concern about the protection class, saying it could lead to legal issues if it refused access to a homeless citizen based on previous violent behavior.

In reference to the Common Council, Weier said she thinks “some people would be skeptical of adding it as a protected class.”

Bolles suggested approaching the issue from a “creative” standpoint rather than a protective class option.

The committee met previously with representatives from the business sector and homeless community and plans to meet with city park and police forces for further conversation.

Discussion is set to continue March 13.