CPAC expectations unreliable

As the Conservative Political Action Conference’s straw poll came to a close, there were some results that were made clear. 

The first is that voters have not changed in the slightest. Tea party members are  consistently winning the straw poll however, they rarely get enough support to receive the GOP presidential nomination. This possibly shrinks the impact of even having such an event. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., is able to shift his libertarian base beliefs on social issues in a way that doesn’t really address  them on a federal level, but rather leaves them for states to handle. He won the straw poll, garnering roughly 31 percent  while  fellow tea party member, Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, fell to second. This is incredibly frightening at first glance until the history of the straw polls reveal that they don’t indicate future GOP presidential nominees.

In recent years, Paul has acquired a massive following and has done very well in the CPAC straw polls. All this indicates is that the tea party movement is still alive and thriving. They continually shatter more moderate opponents in the straw poll, which apparently is possible in the tea party at this point in political time. 

However, this doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Former U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, won consecutive years by 30 percent before the last presidential election, even edging out eventual nominee Mitt Romney. However, predicting what will happen in the future is nearly impossible. 

The possible contenders for the nomination could be U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis. or Gov. Chris Christie, R-N.J., who both had miserable polling results. What’s most likely to occur is a battle between Cruz and Gov. Rick Perry, R-Texas, for Texas; while Paul will have to answer some very uncomfortable questions when it comes to governing and just exactly how much of the government he plans to limit.  

Even if he did quote Pink Floyd in his speech, he is going to be playing a constant balancing act between a Libertarian’s true beliefs and his or her distorted ones that have consequences that are hard to explain. Allowing for establishment candidates, like Ryan, to come to the forefront due to their experience can be accepted over tea party control. In times of rough economic disparity, we need a progressive candidate more than a reactionary one, who preferably knows accounting. 

Be wary of these polls as they indicate what can happen in the midterm elections. If they turn out anything like the CPAC did, we will be looking at a lot of new conservatives in congress,  while seeing the  older politician’s seats fall. It’s too early to roll out the carpet for former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton before she tackles her competition that could end up being tough to defeat.  One thing still remains clear above all: The Republican Party has not changed one bit and will not change until President Barack Obama leaves office.  2016 could be the breakthrough for the Republican Party that everyone has been waiting for.  Like it or not, our government runs efficiently when  both parties are well-represented.  

“In our age there is no such thing as ‘keeping out of politics.’ All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia.”-—George Orwell. 

What are your opinions of the GOP presidential candidates for 2016 election? Please send all of your feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.