City Council discusses late-night vending, alcohol licensing, Lamp House report

Common Council members introduced a proposal to expand late-night food cart vending sites, approved an amendment to extend the expiration date of the alcohol license policy and adopted a Lamp House Ad Hoc Committee report.

Council members introduced the ordinance to expand late-night food vending sites as recommended unanimously by the Vending Oversight Committee. A final decision is scheduled to be made during the council’s March 18 meeting.

Madison’s city council also approved an amendment to extend the Alcohol License Density Ordinance expiration date from April 1 to July 1.

The amendment would allow city committees a chance to create a potentially permanent ordinance that would take advantage of the bar and tavern market in the downtown area, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

The current ordinance places a quota on the number of bars in a broad region within the city and only permits new bars that replace existing establishments. Verveer said he expects to see the quota reduced to an area already highly concentrated in liquor licenses and police activity, which would allow more flexibility for new bars and taverns.

Lastly, Council members approved the Lamp House report after lengthy debate with opposition from members of the Council.

The report states Frank Lloyd Wright designed the house in the 1900s specifically to give his childhood friend, Robert Lamp, a view of the sailboat races on the lakes before Lamp passed away in 1916.

Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, proposed a failed amendment rejecting the ad hoc committee’s recommendation to preserve the view of Lake Mendota from the Lamp House by implementing height limitations on surrounding establishments.

“I think it’s radical to begin to talk about either conveying or eliminating potentially millions of dollars worth of air rights from properties all over the north side of the Isthmus,” Clear said.

Despite contention, many attendees agreed with the report’s conclusion.

Bill Gates, a neighborhood representative on the Lamp House committee, supports the report and said the Lamp House is historically valued for the views it offers.

“There’s a story to be told and a story to be preserved,” Ald. Lisa Subeck, District 1, said.