Academic Staff 03112014

Academic Staff Rep. Noel Radomski raises concerns with the Executive Committee’s appointment Monday.

Academic Staff member raises concerns over Executive Committee’s decision-making process

An Academic Staff representative raised concerns at an assembly meeting Monday regarding a committee appointment made last month by the Academic Staff Executive Committee.

Committee members approved a motion to nominate James Kupsch to represent Academic Staff on a potential committee that would look at the presence of classified research efforts on University of Wisconsin System campuses, during an ASEC meeting Feb. 20.

The UW System currently prohibits classified research on any of its campuses. A state bill, which was recently referred to the Senate Committee on Universities and Technical Colleges, calls for a reversal of the current regulations, allowing research opportunities within the System.

The creation of the Classified Research Committee, on which Kupsch would serve, hinges on the bill’s passage. A legislative vote on the bill has not been scheduled at this time, but the Legislature is open until April 3.

Academic Staff Rep. Noel Radomski introduced a motion to the assembly to defer the appointment until the May 12 meeting, saying the bill has not yet been passed and no set outlines have been made for what the position would entail.

“I think [the appointment] would be premature,” Radomski said. “Let’s make a right, reasonable decision.”

Radomski added that with the appointment delayed until May, there would be ample time for staff to make an informed decision.

ASEC Member Kevin Niemi said he understands Radomski’s argument, but believes the issue lies more with the ASEC decision-making process.

Niemi added while the measure may appear rash, he feels it is important to secure an Academic Staff position on the committee that ensures the voice of the body in future classified research decisions.

The motion was tabled until a later assembly meeting, as the committee did not have a quorum.