Women's Basketball: Wisconsin shares the wealth in win over Ohio State

Sharing the wealth proved to be an effective strategy for the Badgers (3-6 Big Ten, 10-11 overall) this afternoon at the Kohl Center, as four Wisconsin players finished in double figures in an 82-71 win over Ohio State (4-5, 14-11).

Junior forwards Michala Johnson and Jacki Gulczynski led all scorers with 21 points, while shooting a combined 58 percent from the field.

“The shots finally fell for us, we had four people in double figures our top scorers. Jacki was a monster on the boards, Taylor was a monster on the boards,” head coach Bobbi Kelsey.

Last year Gulczynski tallied 32 points and 15 boards against Ohio State. When asked why she plays so well against this particular Big Ten rival, she responded with class.

“I guess I just like playing Ohio State,” Gulczynski said. “They are such a historically great team. Coming back and getting a win today is just great for our team.”

Considering their late offensive struggles, it is no surprise the Badgers went almost three and a half minutes without scoring to start the game. However, big scorers made shots when they were needed the most.

Thanks to clutch shooting and a 10-0 Wisconsin run midway through the first half, the Badgers took control of the lead and never looked back.

Gulczynski led all scorers at the break with 15 points and proved to be a mismatch in the post.

Sophomore guard Ameryst Alston averages 19.6 points per game in conference play for the Buckeyes, but the Badgers keyed in and forced her to kick the ball back out frequently. She finished with just 10 points on the day.

“She usually gets to the basket a little bit better. They did a really good job keeping her in front of them and really didn’t give her anything easy,” Ohio State head coach Kevin McGuff said.

Senior guard Taylor Wurtz came to play right out of the break, scoring 11 points in the first four minutes after halftime after being held scoreless in the first half. She would finish with 17 points and 14 boards, her fourth double double on the year.

“I think [Wurtz] is a terrific player,” McGuff said. “I look at her with 14 rebounds from the perimeter, that’s a great stat and just a reflection of how hard that kid works.”