UW-Madison law organizations host panel on college athlete compensation

University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Black Law Students Association and the Sports and Entertainment Law Society held a forum Wednesday to explore the ideas surrounding compensation for college athletes.

UW-Madison Law professor Walter Dickey, who is also the university’s faculty representative to the Big Ten, Western Collegiate Hockey Association and NCAA, was joined by UW-Madison History professor David McDonald and UW-Madison doctoral education student Valyncia Raphael.

The panel deliberated the main arguments for and against player compensation. The discussion was moderated by UW-Madison law fellow Cori Harvey.

The main argument for compensation is to offset sports-related risks, health concerns and university control over players’ names, according to McDonald.

On the contrary, McDonald said universities are learning institutions and education is the main focus. Additionally, those against compensation argue admission and scholarship money are a sufficient payment.

Dickey said the university has no obligation to “compromise its educational enterprise” by paying players.

“Isn't the education worth something? I was brought up to believe that is what it is all about,” he said.

Raphael added mainstream debate focuses on a utopian solution. She emphasized alternative compensation models to reward athletes in different ways, discussing trusts or funds that can be accessed after graduation.

Dickey said the existing framework of the NCAA puts a limit on how fast and far laws can be changed. He added that people working closely with the issue of player compensation are reluctant to bring in professionalism to preserve the idea that school is educational.

Ultimately, an educational mindset is a “key to better future” for the majority of students, Dickey said.