SSFC 02272014

WSUM General Manager Dave Black acknowledges the impact UW-Madison students have on funding the radio station at a Student Services Finance Committee  meeting Thursday.

SSFC hears WSUM 2014-’15 budget

WSUM, the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s nonprofit student radio station, presented a proposed 2014-'15 budget of $339,711.72 at a Student Services Finance Committee meeting Thursday, a $9,141.42 increase from the current year’s budget.

The only broadcasting facility on campus, located in the Student Activity Center, features close to 24-hour programming, under the operation of UW-Madison students.

Dave Black, the WSUM general manager and co-founder, noted the majority of the group’s funding comes from student segregated fees, which is something the organization keeps in mind when comprising the budget.

“We never forget that we’re investing your money,” Black said. “We’re very grateful to have your support.”

Black said because the main source of funding is from students, the station belongs to the students of the university.

In dealing with the budget, Black said the organization strives to find the balance between requesting enough fees in order to address what needs to be handled and asking for too much of students’ money.

“Ultimately, it’s don’t kill a fly with a hammer, and don’t fix a Mercedes with a toolbox that’s made by Mattel,” Black said.

The committee will make a decision on WSUM’s budget March 3.

SSFC members also discussed the recently proposed eligibility criteria for registered student organizations applying for funding through SSFC, which was finalized by Eligibility Criteria Review Committee members Tuesday.

Devon Maier, SSFC secretary, voiced concern that there are still issues of vagueness with the new criteria and said he worries it still presents issues with the language used.

“I know the current system is flawed and screwed up and we all have problems with it, but I just don’t know if getting rid of one flawed system for another one is the best solution,” Maier said.

While the criteria was only up for discussion, SSFC Chair David Vines said committee members can recommend changes at next week’s meeting before presenting the proposed criteria to Student Council March 12.